This weekend, I opened HONK! at Delaware Theatre Company, and when brainstorming what to write for this week’s blog post, I thought it might be helpful to list some of my “must haves” for vocal hacks during a long running show. All of these will fit on your Equity allotted space at your dressing room station!
1. Mini humidifier: This travel humidifier is a life saver in a dry theatre.
2. Portable Steamer: Nebulizer or Pure Mist. Save your pennies. These are WORTH IT.
3. Lozenges: I prefer sugar-free Grether’s Pastilles or Fontus drops. AVOID cough drops with menthol in them (it’s a numbing agent so you can’t feel if/when you’re doing vocal damage).
4. Preventative Medicinals: Oil of oregano. Someone in your cast coming down with a plague? Avoid this by putting a few drops of this on your tongue. It tastes like a disgusting highly concentrated amount of pizza and then slightly burns but helps.
5. TEA! Throat Coat and Manuka honey.
6. Other beverages: Coconut or Aloe water. Both are super hydrating. Mix it with a little pineapple juice for an added hydration/de-inflammation boost!
7. Alkalized water. This brand is great (try the ginger or the cucumber-mint) or check it out at TJs or Whole Foods.
8. Metal straw: You can attach this one to your key chain. See Tom Burke's youtube video for a refresher on how to use it.
9. Tools for Muscle release: Lacrosse ball to roll out cranky muscles. If that's too hard, check out these spiky massage balls. You could also get a mini massager (see our toys page for links) or a portable foam roller.
10. Meditation apps: I love Breethe for customizable breathing exercises or Headspace.
What are your healthy voice go tos? Help us add to our list!