What the heck is BIOHACKING and why are we talking about it on a singer's blog?
Biohacking is basically do-it-yourself biology. It's a way for people to experiment with ways in which to be the best versions of themselves by altering their habitats and their habits for optimal health.
Biohacking is relevant to us because singers are always on the lookout for "life hacks" to make daily singing easier!
THE PROBLEM: INFLAMMATION IN THE BODY (AND SINGING VOICE)
According to The Voice Foundation, common symptoms of inflammation affecting the voice include:
- Snot/mucus/drainage in the nose and throat causing coughing and throat clearing
- General feeling of dryness
- A thick/chunky feeling in the voice/throat
- "Lump in the throat"
- Increased unintentional gravel or rasp in the voice
- Loss of range or voice altogether
*A note: inflammation in the voice may or may not be the result of ACID REFLUX.
It may not be your actual vocal folds that are inflamed but rather your esophagus or pharynx- the back wall of your larynx. This inflammation is most likely because of irritants that your body comes into contact with in your habit, routine, or diet, NOT because of "bad vocal habits".
THE SOLUTION: 3 LIFE HACKS TO REDUCE INFLAMMATION
- Buy a humidifier and use it at night to keep your bedroom from becoming too dray.
- Invest in an air purifier, especially if you live in a city, to remove allergens, dust, dirt, and pollen from the air you breathe inside your home.
- Carry a water bottle.
- Use a Neti Pot.
- Raise your heart rate for 30 minutes a day, 5 times a week.
- Reduce stress and prioritize sleep.
- Food allergens cause MAJOR inflammation in the gut and esophagus (located right behind your larynx and vocal folds). Common culprits include DAIRY and GLUTEN. Eliminate these from your diet for 2-3 weeks to see if it creates positive vocal change.
- ADD turmeric, foods high in antioxidants, and more from this list into your diet.
More foods that fight inflammation.
- Make a cup of this with Manuka honey. Read about it's anti-bacterial properties and other benefits here.
What are YOU going to do today to reduce the affects of inflammation in your body?
Happy BIOHACKING, Singers!!